The chants can be heard in the streets and the call can be found in film. Black lives matter is not a new sentiment. In the archives of cinema, from the very beginning there are films about the plight of Black Americans. Criterion is streaming black cinema for free all of June. Warner Brothers has made the heart wrenching film Just Mercy free on all platforms this month. Other studios, streaming services and online platforms are being added to the list daily. Streaming for free is great but everyone doesn’t have access. Consider supporting these films and filmmakers if you can by buying the discs and donating to your local library. Share the word.
The lighter fare this week to decompress from 2020’s continued onslaught included Starship Troopers, Minority Report and the entire Underworld franchise. Fun, mindless popcorn flicks to help unwind and decompress. Brian and Mick follow the rabbit hole and wind up discussing movies like Wolf Creek, Tusk, Shawshank Redemption where the fear lies in the vulnerability of being imprisoned and tormented. Horror, ain’t genre grand?!
Skyline is streaming some of our favorite short films from 2019. Click the link below to stream for free. This month’s selections are: AFTERMATH, All That Roams Below, Manhood, Masters, Psychosis and Shinrin-Yoku (Forest Bathing). New selections available in July.
Links for Clicking
- Diversity in film crews.
- Criterion, Warner Brothers’ Just Mercy and others make Black Films Free to stream.
- Minority Report: the novel.
- Stream Skyline Indie Film Fest Titles for Free.
- The Scene Snobs has new episodes and two new show coming soon!
Stay In Touch
We love your feedback! You can get in touch with us by email at pullingfocuspodcastshow at gmail.com and at the social outlets below.
Please rate and review Pulling Focus where ever you get your podcasts.
Get Caught Up
- Pulling Focus Ep 13: SkIFF Selections, Carl & Rob Reiner, Hamilton, All I Can Say & so much more!
- Pulling Focus Ep 12: Father’s Day Favorites, Drive-Ins Ramping Up & Cinemas Open This July
- Pulling Focus Ep. 11: #BLM, Diversity In Crews, Black Cinema Streams For Free and Films to Help Decompress.
- Pulling Focus Ep. 10: Remembering Two Greats, Reading Scripts, Writing Outlines & Treatments and Getting A Great Cinema Experience.
- Pulling Focus Episode 9: Elliot and Zander Weaver’s COSMOS
- Pulling Focus Episode 8: Coping, Fandango Streaming, Film Festivals Pivot, Indie Film COSMOS, Story Beats Tech and Loglines
- Pulling Focus Episode 7: Screenwriting